What is a Hormonal IUD?
Mirena and Liletta are an intrauterine device (IUD) used for birth control. Made of soft, flexible plastic, it is inserted in the uterus by the doctors at Women’s Health Wise during a short office visit. Hormonal IUD’s are effective for up to 5 years but can be removed earlier. They work by slowly releasing very small amounts of the hormone levonorgestrel directly into your uterus which has several contraceptive effects. (See diagram below) It offers a highly effective, convenient, reversible, estrogen free method of birth control that works continuously without having to take a pill everyday.
What the Hormonal IUD does:
- Liletta or Mirena are over 99% effective, and are among the most effective forms of reversible birth control available today!
- When you decide to have the IUD removed, the contraceptive effect withdraws quickly and you will return to fertility within a few months.
- The Liletta or Mirena IUD is FDA Approved to treat heavy periods. In a clinical trial, the majority of women with heavy periods treated with Liletta or Mirena showed a reduction in bleeding of more than 90% at 6 months.
How does the Hormonal IUD work?
Is a Hormonal IUD Right for You?
- The Liletta and Mirena IUD is an effective birth control option for most women. During your office visit, we will discuss your particular circumstances and help you decide whether a hormonal IUD is the best option for you. For example:
- You just had a baby and are nursing, IUD’s offer a safe birth control option
- You may want to have more children in the future but do not know when and you need a reversible form of birth control.
- You are happy with your current family size but you are not ready for permanent sterilization
- You want birth control without a daily routine or hassle
Hormonal IUD Safety Considerations
- Once we have properly placed the device, we will show you how to check the threads once a month. If you have trouble finding the threads, be sure to switch to a backup form of birth control and call our office to make an appointment.
- Do not use Liletta or Mirena if you have a pelvic infection
- Any IUD does NOT protect against sexually transmitted diseases
- Share your health history with your healthcare provider before placement
- There are some serious but uncommon side effects associated with IUD’s
- Review possible common side effects of Liletta or Mirena after placement
- Although uncommon, pregnancy while using a hormonal IUD can be life threatening and may result in loss of pregnancy or fertility
- For more safety information you should know about
- Liletta, visit: https://www.liletta.com
- Mirena, visit: mirena-us.com
At Women’s Health Wise In Longmont, CO; we have been placing hormonal IUD’s for over ten years with a very high level of patient satisfaction.