What is a Nexplanon?
NEXPLANON is a hormone-releasing implant that is placed under the skin on the upper arm for women who prefer a long-acting reversible birth control option.
What the Nexplanon does:
- Nexplanon is over 99% effective, which means that there is less than 1 pregnancy in 100 women using Nexplanon for one year.
- Nexplanon is effective for 3 years, but can be removed at any time during a short office visit at Women’s Healthwise and you will return to fertility quickly.
How does the Neplanon Work?
NEXPLANON is a soft and flexible implant that is inserted in a discreet location on the inside of the upper arm. It is small in size (4cm in length, 2mm in diameter) so no one has to know that it’s there but you and your health care provider.
NEXPLANON works to prevent pregnancy with a continuous release of progestin, which is one of the hormones found in birth control pills. This keeps the egg from being released from the ovaries and prevents sperm from reaching the egg.
Is the Nexplanon Right for You?
The Nexplanon Implant is an effective birth control option for most women. During an office visit, we will discuss your particular needs and help you decide whether Nexplanon is the best option for you. For example:
- If you may want to have more children in the future but do not know when and need a reversible form of birth control.
- If you are happy with your current family size but are not ready for permanent sterilization.
- If you want a long acting birth control without the daily routine or hassle.
Nexplanon Safety Considerations
Do not use NEXPLANON:
- If you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant
- If you have, or have had blood clots, such as blood clots in your leg (deep venous thrombosis), lungs (pulmonary embolism), eyes (total or partial blindness), heart (heart attack), or brain (stroke).
- If you have liver disease or a liver tumor
- If you have unexplained vaginal bleeding
- If you have breast cancer or any other cancer that is sensitive to progesterone (a female hormone), now or in the past
- If you are allergic to anything in NEXPLANON
- For more safety information you should know about Nexplanon, visit: www.nexplanon-usa.com
At Women’s Health Wise In Longmont, CO; we have been placing Nexplanon Implants with a very high level of patient satisfaction.